Sunday, January 12, 2014

Like/Unlike

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." -Colossians 3:23-24

Allow me to grab my wordy brush and paint a mental image for you of the torture that I often inflict on my husband whenever I am trying to decide on an outfit to wear….
I will walk into the room sporting my wardrobe choices and say something like, "Hey, Al, what do you think of this outfit?" Let me just say here that I am quite certain his brain begins to wither when he hears those words. What comes out of his mouth next varies. It ranges from "I like it!" to a skeptical look accompanied with something like "Are you supposed to wear those…pants with that???" (<--- true story from a day I wore leggings with a dress) to "Uhhh, not really." Then comes the fun part; no matter what he says, I dissect it. "You just like it? You don't love it? Are you sure this shirt looks okay?  What do you mean??? These aren't pants; they are leggings! Everyone wears these! Why don't you like this outfit? What's wrong with it? You have to have a reason!" Yeah, that part can last for a while. It just helps me to have the conversation out loud with him that I would normally have inwardly with myself, but bless his heart, it does not help him a bit. Concern over whether or not people will like what I am wearing makes me a little nutty; know what I mean? 

There is no doubt we live in a society that is all about the "likes". Who "liked" the status you posted on Facebook? How many retweets/favorites did your tweet generate? Did many people click that cute little heart on your Instagram pics? How many followers do you have on Twitter and Instagram? How many friends on Facebook? Did anyone tell you that they like your new haircut, stylish outfit, favorite shoes? Were you invited to that party? Do people wildly applaud when you run out on the basketball court or baseball field? Does that guy think you are beautiful? Did everyone gush over your solo at church? And on and on it goes. There are polls online where we can vote on which celeb's hair we like best, whose outfit looked better, whose kid is cuter. It is plain ol' exhausting trying to keep up with being "liked".

I find myself concerned about whether or not people will approve of everything from my jewelry and clothing choices (ones that as long as they are appropriate and not indecent do not matter in the heavenly realm) to the stands I choose to take for Jesus (ones that have to be based on pleasing my Savior and not myself or anyone else). Even though I do not believe God has a preference on whether or not I should wear the blue shirt or the red one (again, provided they are both covering what they need to), I also am convinced that He desires that we have enough confidence in who we are in Him that we do not waste loads of valuable time stressing over the opinions of others on such an inconsequential matter. On the other side of the same coin, God also urges us to value His word, truth, and commands above all when it comes to spiritual matters. When we know our instructions come from Him, no one else has a vote big enough to veto His. Even if those around us do not like what we say, what we do, or even…(gulp)…who we are. 

Have you ever prayed for God to make everyone like you? I honestly do not know if I have or not, but I would not have put it past me in junior high or high school to make that desperate plea. I can imagine His response…a gentle chuckle like the one I let out when my daughter asks for something out of the blue that I know is not going to happen, then a lot of grace, then some complete honesty: "My child, why are you asking me for something that even I don't have?" Huh? Oh, yes. If you take even a tiny look around, you will be struck with the realization that not everyone loves, likes, or even believes in our almighty God. When His precious son Jesus came to Earth to save all of us sinners, He was mocked, plotted against, beaten, betrayed, blasphemed, and much more before He was crucified on a cross. That is a whole lot of "unlike"…to put it wildly mildly.

Though that fact helps put things in perspective, as does the reminder that there is not a person on Earth that is liked by everyone else on the planet, it is still tough. Tough to remember that we are here to serve, worship, and love the God we cannot physically see instead of living to please those who are right in front of our faces each day with their own judgements, opinions, and desires. Tough to remember that our confidence has to come from the God within us and Him alone. That confidence takes too much of a beating on a daily basis for anyone other than an omnipotent (all-powerful) God to defend it. Tough to be disliked and not dislike yourself or develop hatred, bitterness, and unforgiveness toward the one who dislikes you. Tough to lean on Jesus when the world pushes you around. Tough, no doubt, but impossible? No way. 

Philippians 4:13 reminds us to have confidence in our Savior, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Hebrews 4:16 urges us to trust our Sustainer, "Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."

Hebrews 10:35-36 assures us that God will do what He says, "So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised."

Recently, Candace Cameron Bure (actress who formerly starred on "Full House" and who is now an author and Christian speaker as well) has been under fire for writing in her book "Balancing It All" that she is biblically submissive to her husband. Hateful comments, slanderous language, and rude accusations have filled her social media pages over her words. A big ol' mountain of "unlike" is being heaped upon her for stating her beliefs. You know what I love though? She has not backed down. She has not apologized (she has no need to). She has not retaliated. She has stood firm upon the confidence in her God and the life she lives for Him with the support of those around her. Good for you, Candace. I sure do "like" that :) 

Prayer

Dear Lord, there is so much pressure for everything from our hairstyle to our parenting style to be liked by others. Help us to remember that what matters is what You like, what You want, what You have commanded us to do. We love you, God, and want to live for you and remain confident in You even when the world around us does not support that decision. Help us to do so, we pray, in Jesus's name, Amen! 


No comments:

Post a Comment