Monday, October 7, 2013

Does Your Attitude Match Your Earrings?

"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in Heaven." -Matthew 5:14-16

Comforted by cross earrings
Just like I have snapped a million quick pictures over the years with my iPod touch, my mind mentally recorded a snapshot of this woman's earrings. It was not that they were especially adorable, though they were cute, but rather that they were reassuring to me. Reassuring? Earrings? That would admittedly sound a little nutty if I left out the part where I told you that the woman wearing the earrings was a nurse, and, at the time, I was undergoing a medical test that was extremely frightening to me. Rest assured all was well then and is now, but at the time, my mind was filled with innumerable fears and worries concerning the possible results. Why were her earrings reassuring? Hanging from each one was a silver cross. She was a fellow Jesus girl. Was I glad to know that she was well-trained in her profession? Of course. Did I appreciate her effort in making small talk to ease the silence? Yes. But it nothing gave me more peace than those small symbols of faith dangling in front of me and the hope that this woman caring for my life trusted Jesus with hers. 

After the test results came back clear and my mind actually had room to hold another thought, I began to consider those earrings and how they affected me in that situation. I had no misconceptions that they were ironclad proof of her salvation, but they did give me reason to believe that she had faith in the Savior that died on a cross like the one symbolized by her accessories and that, get this, she would make all attempts to act like Him. 

Powerful jewelry and powerful truth 
Whew, that is some powerful jewelry! And a powerful truth, one that none of us can afford to miss. When I was in high school, W.W.J.D bracelets were wildly popular, and the trend quickly spread to T-shirts, hats, everything on which the acronym could be printed. It stood for: "What would Jesus do?" Although it was a question designed to prompt the wearer to ask themselves if what they were about to engage in was godly, I often failed to remember that it was also a statement. A statement to the outside world that told them: "I WANT to and WILL DO MY BEST to do what Jesus would do." 

Looking back, it is frightening to consider how often I wore jewelry that labeled me as a follower and imitator of Jesus with no regard to how my words and actions might negate that statement. Now I am humbled by the notion that no matter what my T-shirt, bumper sticker, or necklace may look like, I still proudly wear the label "Christian" and need to seek to, through God's help, be an accurate reflection of Him to the world. 

Labeled as the light
Before you go donate all of your cross jewelry and Jesus T-shirts to Goodwill out of fear of not living up to the faith you display with your accessories and clothing, hear me out. The moment we accept Jesus into our hearts through faith as Lord and Savior, God himself labels us as His: His children, His redeemed, His heirs (see Romans 8:17). He desires for us to display that label and His love for all the world to see. Matthew 5:14-16 reads, "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in Heaven." 

Fear not
Does that scare you? Granted it can be intimidating to know that we weak, imperfect humans are to be reflections of a omnipotent, perfect God, but we do not have to be afraid of the task. Earlier when I mentioned my W.W.J.D-wearing days being frightening to look back on, that was solely because I did not take the responsibility and honor of being a Christian and being "Jesus to the world" seriously. THAT is what should put some holy fear in us: disregard for the amazing task we have been entrusted with, which is ultimately living our lives to love, glorify, and serve God and lead others to Him (see Matt. 28:16-20, Matt. 22:36-40, 1 Samuel 12:24). However, when we desire whole-heartedly to do God's will and taking our commitment to Him seriously, we need not worry about being inadequate. God enables and empowers us to do every single thing He calls us to. As Philippians 2:13 reminds us, "for it is GOD who works IN you to will and act in order to fulfill His good purpose" (emphasis mine). He has more than enough power for us all; He just asks that we surrender our will to His and our weakness to Him. 

Don't miss this 
Before I let you go, I would be remiss if I did not add this caveat (which is a fancy word that I love that basically means "warning of specific limitations"). Cross earrings, Christian t-shirts, Facebook statuses about Jesus...none of it means we will be perfect. Unfortunately, some people wrongly assume that anyone who wears the label (whether visible to people on clothing or visible to God and others on your heart) "Christian" should never fail, never fall, never posses one little flaw...and God help you if you do. But you know what? They are partially correct on that last part: God WILL help you WHEN you do. The world may offer insults and condemnation, but He offers victory when we fail, a hand to help us up when fall, and forgiveness for each and every flaw. Which will you trust in? 

Prayer
Dear Heavenly Father, thank You that failing, fallen, and flawed though we can be, You still chose us to reflect Your light onto this dark world. Help us to never forget what an enormous honor and responsibility that is. Also, remind us daily that we never once have to face this world alone. You go before us, behind us, beside us, and, most importantly, inside us to enable us to do Your work and Your will. You are such a good God, and we love You so very much. In Jesus's name, Amen! 


No comments:

Post a Comment